Personally, I’m still of the mindset that a lollipop taped to a construction paper heart should be an acceptable Valentine at any age. It’s personalized and there’s candy involved; WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM US, WORLD? But for an outside-the-box wooing experience, look no further than your favorite shows. If TV is to be believed (and if it isn’t, I’ve made a hug mistake), these are the most foolproof ways to romance that special someone in your life:
- Clear out a drawer.
- Make a mix tape (just make sure YOU made it).
- Borrow some old-school machine guns.
- Go freestyle on a batch of mac and cheese.
- Plan an elaborate scavenger hunt.
- Actually, plan everything.
- Think of it like role-playing.
- Visit an office supply store.
- Be a beekeeper.
- Dance like nobody’s watching.
- Drive somewhere far away together.
- Show up at the airport with a marching band.
- Buy 70s sitcom relics online.
- Keep important things in a symbolically important box.
- GET TO A PHONE!
- Pigs are always a plus.
So what’s your favorite TV-inspired romantic gesture? Whatever it is, your homework is to make it happen and report back on the results (friends are acceptable test subjects). Now have at it, lovebirds! And happy Valentine’s Day!